A Natural & Holistic Approach to Health & Wellness
FOCUSING ON FINDING BALANCE, NOURISHING OUR BODIES, AND LEARNING TO LOVE OURSELVES IN EVERY WAY, NO MATTER WHAT. ALL BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS MUST GROW THROUGH DIRT TO FIGURE IT ALL OUT...
Note: I am NOT a certified nutritionist, doctor, or anything of the like. This blog/website is simply to share information I've learned throughout my wellness journey. By browsing and absorbing information on this site, you understand that it is best to consult your trusted health provider or Naturopath practitioner before implementing anything you may read here into your diet or daily lifestyle, and that I am not liable for any results of the choices you may make regarding your health and wellness.
W E L C O M E
First, let me introduce myself. I'm Kirsten (pronounced "Keer-stin"), wife to my husband Tyler of eight years and dog mom to our little Bax boy. Photographer, artist, flavor enthusiast, plant lady, and yogi. We live in a little pink cottage in south-central Pennsylvania, and are homebodies to fault, wanting nothing but to be cozy and safe together within it's four walls. We like to explore and do new things, but nothing beats time at home.
I started S&F in hopes to keep myself accountable on my path to becoming healthier, more balanced, and in tune with myself. It's been incredibly rewarding and enriching to connect with so many women who are also along the same ride. We're all in this together and it feels so good to have the community and bond that we do.
Also, have you told yourself you're beautiful today? If you haven't, you need to. That's something we need to tell ourselves every single day! Our culture has conditioned us to think we need to be, look, feel, act, and perform a certain way to qualify as a successful, beautiful, meaningful, attractive, valuable woman and those negative vibes have seeped into our hearts and thwarted our outlook on who we are and what we are capable of. I have seen it so strongly in myself in the past, and in other women too. It needs to stop and we all need to help encourage each other. So seriously - go look in the mirror and tell yourself you're an absolute bombshell!
Lastly, I'd love to hear from you! Please take a few minutes to drop me a message and say hi. I'd love to hear about your story, where you are with your wellness journey, what your favorite foods are, and whatever you're willing to share!
SO WHAT DO WE TALK ABOUT HERE AT S&F?
Well I'm a huge advocate for toxin-free living, clean and balanced eating, cycle syncing (which I'll elaborate on soon!), and essential oils. I encourage everyone that comes across my website to follow me on Instagram because that's where I share the most consistently. I update my site often too but I share stories daily about all of the previously-mentioned stuff and I love interacting with all of you and sharing inspiration together.
I'm always growing and learning. I love being inspired by other wellness gurus and sharing what I've learned, giving them credit along the way. Mother Earth Living magazine inspires me, as does @leefromamerica (give her a follow if you don't already!). We are all on our own journeys and seasons of life. Each day is a new dawn and a new chance to be better more appreciative versions of ourselves. When we have others to support and encourage us while going through the ups and downs of life, it makes it that much easier. So let's do it together!
WANTING TO BALANCE YOUR LIFESTYLE BUT NOT SURE WHERE TO START?
Here are 5 steps to balancing and cleansing your lifestyle just a bit more than it was yesterday.
1. Cut Out Caffeine! It disrupts our hormones and gives a false sense of alertness and energy. If you're a soda or coffee drinker, slowly ween yourself off by switching to decaf. Brew regular with half-caf for a few days, then fully half-caf. You want to do it gradually to avoid the caffeine with draw headache, that's the worst. Then once you're on decaf only, see if you even care to drink it anymore. If you're like me you will, but only in moderation. :)
2. Ditch & Switch! There are so many toxic chemicals in our homes and daily routines that we don't even realize have an effect on our hormones, health, and overall wellness. Download the Environmental Working Group app and scan the products you have in your home for safety ratings. It's an awesome way to discover what you're using each day that could be harmful. Hint: anything with "perfume/fragrance" in the ingredients list should be trashed immediately. Throw out your chemical-laced dryer sheets! Our skin is our largest organ, absorbing everything it is exposed to, directly into our bodies. switch to wool dryer balls! this will help soften your clothing as well as lessen the dry time of your load! you can even add a couple drops of essential oils to the balls to freshen the scent of your clothing. they can last for about 1,000 loads!
3. Toss Your Tupperware! Get rid of your plastic food storage containers and switch to glass. You can find stackable glass containers of all sizes at Target or of course Amazon. And if you still choose to use plastic ones, please for the love of all things, DON'T HEAT or microwave it!
4. Read Your Labels! I can't stress this enough. Read every single one, no matter how long it takes for you to grocery shop! Your body will thank you almost immediately. If you don't recognize the ingredient, google "harms of _______" (the ingredient) and you'll probably find a pretty darn good reason to put that product back on the shelf. Things like carrageenan, parabens, soy, MSG, artificial colors and dyes, BHA, high fructose corn syrup, and more... Here's a link that talks about the top ten toxin ingredients we want to avoid.
5. Make Better Simple Choices! Just one more glass of water each day will be beneficial, parking a little further away from the store's entrance, taking a quick walk on your lunch break instead of sitting in the cafeteria or break room... making small choices like that are what will quickly add up to become a positive and healthier lifestyle!